[linux-audio-user] DeMuDi unusable on widescreen nVidia LCD

From: Jon B <30plxf602@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 01:20:13 EET

I have tried this twice. I install DeMuDi, and the installer works
fine, but then when it actually tries to run, it SCREWS UP HARDCORE.
The screen turns into nothing but purple and teal vertical lines. The
first time I knew nothing about linux and gave up. The second time
was today. I cleared out some room and made a new partition to
experiment with distros, since my current system is very crash-prone
and unorthodox. I know a little bit more this time, so I pushed
ctrl+alt+F1 to get the regular prompt. But even that is screwed up,
with black and white vertical lines everywhere. I can kind of see
through them to read what I am typing, but not very easily. I have a
(mostly) working low-latency-modified Libranet install on another
partition. Maybe I could copy my XF86Config from there? Also I need
the nVidia drivers, however, which would require my network card to be
functional. I also need network card drivers to get my network card
functional, which would require my network card to be functional. :-)

It is a non-fun adventure!

Any advice? For the Libranet install, I got the nVidia working with
the Libranet installer here: http://libranet.com/support/2.8/0365 and
got the network card working with the Libranet installer here:
http://libranet.com/support/2.8/0316 (downloaded in windows and then
opened in linux).

More info about my installation here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/negatron/linux/libranet8600.html

Perhaps a suggestion for another distro / distro modification? (Feel
free to point me to instructions instead of writing them out.) A 2.6
kernel would be nice, so I can have the integrated ALSA and
low-latency, and so I can write to NTFS partitions, but none of the
debian music distros seem to use it. Why is that? I like the idea of
debian handling dependencies for me, but it hasn't really handled them
that well in practice. I am not apt enough to fully get apt-get, I
guess. So I would consider another package system, although I fear
the alternatives are even scarier.

Hmmmm... I could use LIbranet (or mepis or something?) to install a
minimal system, dist upgrade to debian unstable, and then upgrade to
demudi, right? That might be my best option...