Re: [linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 11:34:56 EET

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:03:02 -0500, Jon Morin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This question is not really a problem with hardware or software per
> se, but I would just like to know what people's favorite reverbs out
> there are. I used to do all of my pro audio work on Mac and Windoze,
> and I'm having great success getting things working with Linux, but
> I've never really found any really decent reverbs, and this is
> unfortunately keeping me from doing more final mixes with Linux. What
> I'm looking for is something like a LADSPA or other plugin, or a
> program that will process sound non-realtime (or even destructively,
> like Audacity) with some decent sounding reverbs.
>
> The TAP Reverberator plugin was okay, I guess, but really the only
> other LADSPA reverb I've come across is Freeverb, which is not good,
> at least using it for intimate vocal tracks and guitars. I mainly use
> Ardour for tracking and mixing, Audacity for destructive editing and
> cleaning up tracks, and Csound, which I've been known to use for DSP a
> bit in the past.

There is also gverb. I prefer the sound to freeverb slightly myself.
I still use my lexicon and yamaha outboard reverbs.

You could try brutefir - if fed with decent imulses it should make a very
good reverb. http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html

> Maybe I just have not stumbled upon the right plugins or programs.
> Any suggestions of favorites?
>
> One more related question: Does anyone know if any soundcards with
> DSP in hardware work with Linux? I'm thinking of something along the
> lines of the Creamware cards (the ones with the integrated DSP's), but
> I'm assuming that most of these also need a software component to make
> them work, and that is most definitely closed-source. I can dream,
> though, right?

You can use the creative dsp chips, but thye dont have enough horsepower
to run a reverb. Someone was looking into support for the creamware cards,
but I dont know how far they got.

It would be nice to have support for some of the PCI DSP cards, even with
closed source plugins, but I dont know how complicateed they are, and I
suspect extracting the plugins from the mac/win drivers would be tricky.

- Steve