[linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

From: Jon Morin <jon.j.morin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 01:03:02 EET

Hi all,

This question is not really a problem with hardware or software per
se, but I would just like to know what people's favorite reverbs out
there are. I used to do all of my pro audio work on Mac and Windoze,
and I'm having great success getting things working with Linux, but
I've never really found any really decent reverbs, and this is
unfortunately keeping me from doing more final mixes with Linux. What
I'm looking for is something like a LADSPA or other plugin, or a
program that will process sound non-realtime (or even destructively,
like Audacity) with some decent sounding reverbs.

The TAP Reverberator plugin was okay, I guess, but really the only
other LADSPA reverb I've come across is Freeverb, which is not good,
at least using it for intimate vocal tracks and guitars. I mainly use
Ardour for tracking and mixing, Audacity for destructive editing and
cleaning up tracks, and Csound, which I've been known to use for DSP a
bit in the past.

Maybe I just have not stumbled upon the right plugins or programs.
Any suggestions of favorites?

One more related question: Does anyone know if any soundcards with
DSP in hardware work with Linux? I'm thinking of something along the
lines of the Creamware cards (the ones with the integrated DSP's), but
I'm assuming that most of these also need a software component to make
them work, and that is most definitely closed-source. I can dream,
though, right?

Jon M.