Re: [linux-audio-user] LAU podcasting

From: omjn <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 20:00:48 EET

hi Greg,

I see your point about a plethora of unlistenable content spewing
forth. Nonetheless, for me that's the attraction of the medium - that
is, it's kind of an everyperson's broadcasting medium with low point of
entry. I appreciate the point of view of the person next door, even if
it's not always very polished. Don't get me wrong, a community oriented
pro-level approach is definitely a good idea (the idea of any community
speaking as one is inspirational in many ways), just that I also think
there is space for the personalised stories that make the medium diverse
and essentially this seems to be what differentiates podcasting from
being just another big broadcasting avenue. Plus it seems interesting
to find out what individuals can do in their home studios as well as
what large production oriented studio processes can achieve.

Another reason for going it alone for me personally is the medium looks
ideal for some plans I already had for my postgrad work, so it's not too
much effort to get up and running quite quickly. Since it's fairly easy
to integrate it into my already existing wordpress blog installation,
I'll probably focus my efforts there for now. Nothing too fancy, but
yes, something with segments and probably not entirely dedicated to gear
or tech talk either: I'll do what I can just to see what I can do...
I'm sure there's enough room for both our approaches though, and I'd be
more than willing if I have time to contribute to any community
developped effort. I think I need to first find out though, if I have
anything to say that the community wants to hear!

ps: I may not be in NYC (try provincial Perth, Australia), but I have a
double major in Lit and Theatre, with voice training and some radio
experience, so am not totally devoid of personality (I hope...).

pps: thanks Mark for the links - almost the same ones I managed to find
with google in the interim, and some extra ones to boot. Your
enthusiasm is catchy.

-michael