Re: [linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

From: Johannes M Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 22:50:28 EET

Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

>>There once was a site called silophone.net where you could upload
>>your sounds and have them played through a silo. The system used
>>lowres realaudio, so it was not fit for audiowork. It lead me to a
>>

>Now that's a funny idea at least. It's like making convolution a real
>pain and adding maximum latency on purpose for a change.

Yeah. Dunno if convolution would do the same good, but the idea is to
get 100% natural reverb by playing the dry sound through the silo with a
speaker and recording the sound in the other end with a mic. One could
then mix this signal with the original signal the way some
recording-studios in fact do, except they haven't got silos but only
small concrete cubes in the building.

Yes, I realize this is crazy, but when silophone.net worked i tried it.
Even in bad Realplayer-resolution it sounded quite good and different
from any digital reverb. Those were the days ,)

Nothin serious, just buggin...

-johs.