Re: [linux-audio-user] Appropriate Directory Structure

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 18:43:46 EET

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:47 +0100, Tom Charles-Edwards wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have just set up my first partition table.
>
> When you specify the mount point for each partition you can use your own title or
> one of those in the menu. I can't remember all of them, but they had names like /
> var, /tmp etc etc.
>
> Where can I find information about which of these I need to create partitions for and
> what they're supposed to be used for.
>
> Currently I have (ext3):
>
> /
> swap
> /home
> /audio

You don't need to create partitions for them. With the above config
they will live on the root partition. This is probably what you want.

> I guess when I'm installing software an arbitrarily structured partition table is likely to
> result in chaos – something I'm naturally quite keen to avoid.

Not nearly as bad as a "clever" sysadmin overdoing it. I have seen high
end SCSI disks die in a week because some wisenheimer decided to put
"/home" at the very beginning of the disk and "/var" at the very end,
then configured some daemon to log to its home directory. Or made /
just big enough to hold the files from a BSD/OS 3.0 install, only to
find it's not quite big enough for the 4.2 files and, oh, say, the
password file at the same time.

Short answer: go with the defaults the installer chooses for you. It's
almost definitely smarter than you are in this area.

Lee