[linux-audio-user] Re: soundfile player question

From: Tom Szilagyi <tszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 22:27:16 EET

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:10:56 +0100, derek holzer
<derek@email-addr-hidden-i.net> wrote:

> [...]
> So what I'd like to know is which app will support enqueuing files for playback in a
> single instance? I've tried all the XMMS and Thunderbird options available to me and can't
> come up with the answer. And I can't stand around all day instructing people on how to
> keep the computer from crashing ;-)

Hi,

If I understand your needs corretly, Aqualung (http://aqualung.sf.net)
can do this. It has command line options for loading/enqueuing files
into the playlist, it can start playback immediately (without having
to press the play button on the gui), and you can terminate a running
instance from the command line, again, without needing to press the
little X button in the upper-right corner.

Basically this is what you will need to run for one user hitting a
link (I don't know how this relates to Mozilla, but I guess you are
able to execute something like a script when a user hits a link):

$ aqualung -Q
        (terminate an already running instance if there is one,
         and exit)
$ aqualung -o alsa -L <some-soundfile>
        (put file in the playlist and start playing it back
        immediately, through alsa in this case.)

Perhaps you will want to put these two in a script and execute
that from Mozilla.

Just a suggestion. I'm glad to help if you decide to give it a try.

Tom