Re: [linux-audio-user] head phones processor

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 23:01:48 EET

A couple of days ago, Andrew asked the following:

> Is there some kind of (software) head phones processor with the aim
> to eliminate an impression a sound is inside a head?

I wasn't sure whether he was asking about fixing existing material or
avoiding the problem in the first place, so I asked him. He replied that
he was interested in fixing existing material. He finds, as I do, that
the "sound inside the head" problem tires him out as he listens.

There are headphone amplifiers that help fix this problem by by signal
processing means. There may be software, but I'm unaware of a any
specific software. I have experimented with some techniques, but none
were satisfactory compared to preventing the problem in the first place
(for example, the engineered IR's I've produced or simply making binaural
recordings at the start).

Is anyone else interested in a software solution to this problem of fixing
existing material? Does any software exist that emulates these binaural
headphone amplifiers? If there is no Linux software yet interest, I
may spend some time going back to working on this problem, time permitting.
I would think that there should be a lot of interest, but apparently very
few people in general are familiar with the improved sound of binaural audio
images. Again, a fix is going to be far short of doing it right in the
first place. It also colors the sound.

Thanks for replies and regards to all,
Dave.