Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Decent reverb

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 15:25:31 EET

Last Friday 04 February 2005 18:20, Florin Andrei was like:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 00:31 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > None of this is to be taken as a diss on Freeverb or Gverb. They still
> > sound better than my old quadraverb!
>
> Wow, really?
> I never listened to the quadraverb, but i thought (based on hearsay)
> that it was in the "decent reverb" category.

It was in the '80's ;-)
Like everything else they have a couple of useful settings, but you can't
really get away from that digital tinniness. I've been spoilt by Lexicons
since. Generally speaking, I find the LADSPA collections very useable and
pleasing to the ear. Suffice it to say I haven't bothered getting the old
quadraverb repaired. However, I do find it hard to hit the 'right' reverb
setting - and we are talking rooms not instrument sounds here.

So I'll be following the rest of these discussions with interest.

> Are there any quadraverb demos on the Internet? (i can listen to
> Freeverb myself)

Not that I'm aware of, sorry.

> > I want a virtual forest please ;-)
>
> No worries, just make sure to run it on appropriate hardware for real-
> time performance:
>
> http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/configs.html
>
> :-)

point taken :-)

Actually, as I'm running on recycled hardware < 1GHz. I think the way forward
for me might be to set up a dedicated dsp machine. Perhaps I could manage a
leaf or two.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk