Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio cards, XLR inputs question

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 20:07:03 EET

Phil Sexton wrote:
> Hi listmembers,
>
> Looking over the info here:
> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/
>
> It looks as if the Delta 1010LT has 2 XLR inputs, whereas the Delta 1010
> only has 1/4" jacks.
>
> http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/callouts/big/delta_1010.jpg
>
> I have 1" condenser mics (AKG 3000B) which require phantom power. I
> assume neither card provides it.
>
> Can owners of these cards confirm my assumptions? What recommendations
> would you give for me to purchase.
>
> We have a 5 member band, two instruments have built in pickups, the harp
> has a 1/2" condenser mic (I'm not sure if it is battery powered or
> requires phantom power), all of the other instruments need miking
> (Uilleann, Great Highland and shuttle bagpipes, anglo concertina,
> fiddle, whistles, flutes, bodhran, bones and egg rattle).
>
> I am building a box with Gentoo Linux intended for recording and
> editing.
>
> TIA

I don't have either of these cards, (I use an RME) but I wouldn't depend
on the built in preamp for recording regardless of the card. I'm not
making any claims as to weather it can handle it or not, but you will
generally get better mic handling with a nice external preamp.

I always try to focus my budget primarily on nice mics, DIs and preamps.
They will by far have the biggest influence on the quality of the final
product.

-Reuben