Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio cards, XLR inputs question

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 04:38:30 EET

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 18:11 -0500, Phil Sexton wrote:

> It looks as if the Delta 1010LT has 2 XLR inputs, whereas the Delta 1010
> only has 1/4" jacks.
> I have 1" condenser mics (AKG 3000B) which require phantom power. I
> assume neither card provides it.
> Can owners of these cards confirm my assumptions? What recommendations
> would you give for me to purchase.

I don't own a Delta but i'm pretty sure they don't offer phantom power
on their inputs. Even if they did, i wouldn't trust them to capture the
sound of a mic; as line inputs they're fine, but a mic is a different
story.

Anyway, i want to purchase a Delta 1010 myself and I'm thinking to get a
mic preamp for it. Since the card is about $450, i figured a $125...150
preamp would be just what the doctor ordered.
I've been told that the Studio Projects VTB1 is one of the best preamps
in that price range. It's ugly, but that's a sign that the $$$ were
invested where it matters: the circuits, not the looks.

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

Since that preamp doesn't have a compressor, and since I'd very much
like to compress before the sound hits the digital domain, I'll have to
get a compressor too. At this moment, the RNC1773 looks like the best
bet - I've heard real hard-core professionals giving it high praise
("butt-ugly looking, kick-ass sounding", "costs $200 but sounds like
$2000", etc.)

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.htm

--
Florin Andrei