Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio cards, XLR inputs question

From: Phil Sexton <philsexton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 16:25:48 EET

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 08:31, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:48:59 -0500
> "Joseph Dell'Orfano" <fullgo@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > For miking acoustic instruments, a great preamp may be a sound
> > investment. You may want to consider spending more resources on this.
>
> Add me to the list of people recommending a good mike preamp. For most
> recording, I don't mind the preamps in my Behringer mixer, but I'd had
> the opportunity to borrow a nice preamp to use with my mediocre Octava
> mics, and was really very happy with the results.
>
> On the other hand, I realized how much I dislike my Behringer T1953
> tube preamp :-/

I had seen some cautions before about Behringer, so if it is cooked, I
probably will replace it, but my financial situation is "badly bent"
just now.

I think the priorities I will set will be some pro sound card first,
then a preamp.

I really don't care compression in acoustic music as I think the
dynamics are very important for the "mood" changes we want to deliver in
our tune sets.

I (and my eldest son) grew out of the rock and roll stage and discovered
that music, like a good single malt whisky, improves with age....

--
Phil
Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy