Re: Book (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Multi-Band compression)

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 23:11:04 EET

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 13:32, Noah Roberts wrote:
> Jan Depner said:
>
> > Do you want to use multiband compression on a single track or on the
> > mix? If you want to use it on the mix just run Ardour's master bus out
> > to JAMin and then back into a new stereo track.
>
> Speaking of jamin and compression, what are some good books that would
> teach a person what these tools are for? Preferably it would be more than
> a ProTools book and more of a general recording/mixing techniques book. I
> am brand new to the idea of recording so I am pretty lost when it comes to
> using any of this stuff for more than the very basics. I tried using some
> compression and noise gates in one of my recordings and just broke stuff.
> I don't understand things like "write,play,touch" in the menus so I can't
> realy use any of it effectively.

    I don't understand touch either ;-) To use the other two just set
to 'write' mode, play the track, adjust gain/pan to taste, stop, set to
'play' mode, rewind and play. That's it.

    For effects, Harmony Central effects resources is a good place to
start.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/

Here is some more light reading ;-)

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/bobkatz.pdf