Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio cards, XLR inputs question

From: Phil Sexton <philsexton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 23:09:04 EET

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 14:56, anahata wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:24:33AM -0500, Paul Coccoli wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend the M-Audio Audio Buddy
>
> Good value at the low end, as long as your mics don't need a full spec
> 48V phantom power - you get about 36V which is fine for some mics but
> not others.

IIRC, the AKG C3000B requires between 9 -48 volts phantom power.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=4501&Category=Microphones
POWER REQUIREMENT 9-52V

Oops! I have a perfect memory! I can forget everything!

It will work OK. Before I got the preamp, I used a couple of 9 volt
batteries (since I couldn't find appropriate current limiter resistors
in my junk box.

> > I've looked at 4+ channel mic preamps, and they seem to be either
> > really cheap (Nady, SM-Pro) or way too expensive. The other option,
> > as other have mentioned, is a compact mixer (Yamaha, Mackie
>
> The Mackie VLZ1202 is a very good option for that - widely
> acknowledged as killer value for money if you need 4 channels of mic
> preamp, especially if you need low noise.

I'll have a looksee. Thanks.

--
Phil
Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy