Re: [linux-audio-user] What to exprect from a dial p3 800 @ ardour

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 17:33:27 EET

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:01:58 -0500, Timothy Alan Gorman wrote:
> Tha ram is
> 2 512mb strips and
> 1 256mb..
> ..
> DSP's use 1 processor?

Currently yes, though I think someones made a version of JACK to use
both on OSX.

> interesting.
> what kind of,performance can I exprect from a p4 1.7 (my current
> winblows box) ;)

Probably better overall, but you will suffer from denormals more, and the
UIs wont update as quickly (thats what the other processor was doing).

You might find the realtime stuff easier going on a single processor
machine too, there have been problems with realtime work on dual cpu
machines in the past.

> so that's a bit much for a dual p3 800 ...

It's certainly borderline. I have a similarly specced machine, but its
mostly acting as a webserver, so I can't tell you for sure.

- Steve