Re: rosegarden (was Re: [linux-audio-user] midi input)

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 00:46:10 EET

Last Sunday 13 February 2005 19:13, Noah Roberts was like:
> tim hall wrote:
> > Uhm, Instruments?
> >
> >(just a thought ;-)
> >
> >Rosegarden doesn't actually contain any instruments as such.
>
> I figured as much...
>
> > If your version
> >is compiled with DSSI support, you will be able to use synth plugins. Else
> >you need to connect to a softsynth via JACK. I generally launch QJackCtl
> > and QSynth (fluidsynth gui) and then Rosegarden.
>
> I have a real synth, do I need a softsynth?

No you can send to an external MIDI instrument so long as you have the MIDI
port enabled in your alsa config, this is usually not enabled by default.

> >I trust you are already familiar with these:
> >http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/resources/faq/
> >http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/using-rosegarden/en/chapter-0.h
> >tml (there is a German translation too)
>
> Those seem to describe if you don't have a real midi device. I do so I
> figured it would work.
>
> However I did just notice this in sndstat:
> Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Midi devices:
> 0: ES1371
>
> Maybe I need to fix something in kernel...

I suggest you look at the options in your alsa configuration file. What distro
are you using? (sorry, not been taking notes ;-)

mine looks like this:
$ cat /etc/modutils/alsa-base
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.5 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd device_mode=0660
options snd-intel8x0 mpu_port=0x330 index=0 ## This is the MIDI port
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

It does sound like most of your problems are 64bit specific, the latest
release candidate of rosegarden4-1.0rc2 addresses some of these issues and is
currently available for testing.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk