Re: [linux-audio-user] Building a Multitrack home studio

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 16:49:44 EET

In the spirit of our evolving accessibility discussion ...

Florin Andrei writes:
> On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 22:54 +0100, Florian Blaser wrote:
> > Also, is there a possibility to have some pedals connected to the computer in
> > order to switch effects on and off while playing ?
>
> I always wondered if there are any dumb devices that can generate simple
> MIDI events when pressing a button or something like that.
> That would be cool.

I think you'll find accessibility support can help with this--when an
app is written with stock GTK2 widgets. The Gnome Onscreen Keyboard
(GOK) provides the generic mechanism to associate pretty much any
key-press/mouse-event with a wide range of alternative hardware
controls. That's its purpose in life for the benefit of folks who need
such interface support (no hands, etc.). It is, of course,
generalizable. Yes, it could provide some cool usefulness outside of
accessibility, too:

http://www.gok.ca

                                Janina

--