Re: [linux-audio-user] tuning

From: Noah Roberts <nroberts@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 21:28:17 EET

Brett W. McCoy said:
> Steve D wrote:
>
>> Guitar frets are positioned to produce an equal-tempered chromatic
>> scale, aren't they? (I play piano, not guitar.) So if one tunes a
>> guitar using harmonics, couldn't one check the result by comparing
>> the same note produced by fret?
>
> Yes, and in fact one should. A guitar that does have the intonation set
> properly can produce harmonics that are not in tune with fretted notes.

I have found that tuning to E works best. Of course I also intonated my
guitar to the buzz fieten offsets.

So I tune the first string to whatever instrument I need to be in tune
with (my piano works good). Then tune B to E at 5, G to E at 9, D to E at
14, A to E at 7, and E to E either at 0 or 12. I think this results in
better tuning than the harmonic 5/7 that I used to use.