Re: [linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 01:21:00 EET

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:12 +0100, Mathias Lundgren wrote:

> I caught the flu last week and between feeling sick and sleeping I
> managed to pull together a new mix (hopefully the last) for my old tune
> "Computerville". You can listen to it at:
>
> http://mattematik.is-a-geek.com/audio/made_with_linux/Lunar_Shuttle_Disaster-Computerville_v4.ogg

It's amazing how much can be accomplished nowadays with seemingly not
much hardware/software. Probably the technology grew up so much that you
don't need many tools to make some really great music.

Anyway...
I'll give you my opinion, but keep in mind that I'll be functioning with
the "Criticize" sliders turned all the way up :-) just to make it easier
to spot any wrinkles. Overall, the impression is very good, don't let my
nitpicking depress you - i'm a nag just because i put the nagging hat
on.

Artistic impressions: nice tune! It makes an apropos to something I've
heard before (back when i was a teenager, some of my buddies were
listening to all kinds of Depeche Mode, Yazoo and stuff like that, which
i've heard, filed in the subconscious but then forgot - at least forgot
it with the conscious mind), in a cool and humorous fashion.
I'd probably change the voice expression towards the end (the emotion
isn't right, it sort of gets out of the spirit of the song), but for the
first 80% or so it's very good.

Technical stuff:
The announcement at the beginning - i know it's supposed to contrast
with the rest of the sound stage, but as it is there's actually a gaping
hole between it and the rest of the sounds. Fill it up, by either
changing the reverb flavor or by doing something else (either drag it
towards the song or push the song towards it - better the former). Or
just bump that track's volume up? I dunno... <shrug>
There are some funky sounds in the song that are supposed to depict the
functioning of a computer - I'm not sure if it's either those sounds
that are muddy, or there's a spectrum clash with the vocals, or maybe
panning isn't right, but anyway they seem to compete with the vocals and
loosing. Either keep those sounds and the vocals temporally separated,
or start hammering on the spectrum.
Also, the sound was overall a tad harsh, but maybe that's because of the
small ogg bitrate. On the crappy phones i used to listen to it, i
couldn't tell whether you were using good mics or not.

There are probably quite a few other things that will go uncaught unless
i re-listen on the better phones, but this should suffice for now.

So, there.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/