Re: [linux-audio-user] My First Linux Song

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 01:51:26 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:12 +0100, Mathias Lundgren wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I caught the flu last week and between feeling sick and sleeping I
>>managed to pull together a new mix (hopefully the last) for my old tune
>>"Computerville". You can listen to it at:
>>
>>http://mattematik.is-a-geek.com/audio/made_with_linux/Lunar_Shuttle_Disaster-Computerville_v4.ogg
>>
>>Apps used:
>>MusE-0.7.1 with simpledrums + various LADSPA effects
>>ZynAddSubFX-1.4.3
>>Jamin
>>
>>Non-software stuff used:
>>El cheapo mic + preamp
>>

>What soundcard did you use? This would be good info to post in these
>"music made with Linux" threads.
>
>Lots of hardware has a reputation for good or bad sound and it would be
>helpful to have some evidence to back it up.

i kept meaning to mention this, so here's a full rundown of what i used,
in all it's ugly glory (gee, i hope this is going to be used as evidence
as "good" sound!):

* soundcard: SoundBlaster Live 5.1
* guitar: Yamaha EG 112 (Strat copy)
* bass: some generic piece of crap i borrowed from a friend ... it says
"Custom Craft" on its neck.
* microphone: Sony ECM-MS907 (it's a mini-disc mic, great for recording
live performances, probly not the best for vocals, but ...)

i plug my guitar into the mic input of my mini-disc recorder (Sony
MZ-R701) and have a lead going from the MD's headphone jack to the
line-input of the SBLive (i've read in various places that the line-in
of the SBLive gives much better quality than the mic-in). this gives me
pretty good control over the input signal from the convenience of the
mini-disc recorder (setting the "Rec Volume" on the MD to "Manual" from
"Automatic").

i do pretty much the same for the mic as i do with the guitar.

same with bass.

shayne