[linux-audio-user] adm: list web archives have moved (was: Re: usb-asx2y on amd64 again)

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 02:05:39 EET

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Mark Constable wrote:

>> The new LA archives can be found at <http://lalists.stanford.edu/>.

Yes, we were going to announce this a bit later, but yup, it's true, the
archives have been succesfully moved to their new home! :) Only thing
still left to do is to update the links at linuxdj.com.

> Thanks but I'm not sure that is going to help me all that
> much because it looks like it specifically searches thru
> the Finnish Google site...

Oops, sorry about that. :) I'm used to the Finnish google.fi URL, and that
slipped in by accident. The page is now fixed and submits the searches to
google.com, which is probably the correct default behaviour.

> Hakusi - site:lalists.stanford.edu usb-asx2y - ei vastaa yhtään sivua.
>
> Is there an archive around that actually indexes the
> messages themselves ?

Not that I'm aware of. We used to have a dedicated htdig search, but I'm
not able to provide this service anymore (still a web based search, not
limiting to message contents). And even if someone would offer to host the
htdig service, I'm not volunteering for the job. :) Keeping the dedicated
search up and running (and debugging why certain searches don't work as
expected) can be a bit of a burden, so relying on google.com,
search.msn.com (both of which have already crawled the whole new lalists
site) and other competitors seems like a nice option to me.

PS If you do put up your own archive sites, please apply some
   anti-spam measures to the email addresses before putting them online
   (and especially if you put whole mboxes online). The current
   mailman archives (only replacing @ with " at ") are already an easy
   target for address harvesters. In the current archive at
   lalists.stanford.edu, I've chosen to hide the tail of email addresses
   completely to make sure no automated script can harvest subscriber
   addresses. This only applies to newer messages, older ones are
   protected by a weaker mechanisms (similar to the default mailman
   obfuscation).

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!