Re: [linux-audio-user] Tweaking alsamixer for the Echo Indigo IO

From: wes schreiner <wes@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 02:06:46 EET

Jon B wrote:

>I just got an Echo Indigo IO card. It works (and I like it a lot so
>far), but alsamixer's sliders are all mixed up. Left channel over
>here, corresponding right channel way over there on the other page,
>etc. After I figure out what each one does, can I submit a bug report
>somewhere and have them rearranged and labeled better?

That's not a bug, that's a feature! :-) Alsamixer lays out the controls
just as the driver numbers them, and the driver in turn numbers the
controls the way that they are found in the sound hardware itself. So
pry open your new Echo Indigo, see who made the chip inside, and file a
bug report with them to revise their silicon :-)

What you are asking for isn't wrong, but it isn't a bug, it's a new
feature request. Some other mixers might support control renaming and
reordering, but alsamixer is too simple for that. Some of us think
that's a good thing. Alsamixer shows everything that the driver reports,
in control number order. That might not be the best user interface, but
it is good for seeing exactly what possibilities exist.

wes