[linux-audio-user] My First Linux Song

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 11:12:45 EET

well, it's taken awhile, but i've managed to complete my first song on
linux!

http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/downloads/The_Girls_-_The_Sailor.ogg

(please be kind in any comments - i'm especially open to tips on
mixing/mastering).

i recorded bass, guitar, vocals into ardour and sequenced the drums
using hydrogen.

i used the ladspa plate reverb for the guitars, but the drums and bass
are dry ... i couldn't get a nice enough sound for the vocals using
ladspa, so i plugged them through ik multimedia's amplitube with
dssi-vst. i also used ik multimedia's TRackS to master the track, as
it's got a bunch of good presets ...

this song is a bit of pastoral yearning from the back of my brain ...
i'd written the lyrics some years ago, but had forgotten all about them
until i stumbled upon this chord progression - at which point, it all
came flooding back :)

this was the song i was working on when i decided to "try-out" linux ...
so i'm pretty happy to have finished it.

a few caveats though:

* i'm not that technically proficient at any of the instrument i've
played on here (though guitar is my favourite).

* i can't really mix.

* i can't really sing.

* i can't really master.

* i may have gone too far with the echoes?

anyhow, hope you can all enjoy, and thanx to everyone who helped me get
here!

shayne o'connor