Re: [linux-audio-user] My First Linux Song

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 03:51:02 EET

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 20:12 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> well, it's taken awhile, but i've managed to complete my first song on
> linux!
>
> http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/downloads/The_Girls_-_The_Sailor.ogg

Nice song!

> i used the ladspa plate reverb for the guitars, but the drums and bass
> are dry ...

Bass is usually supposed to be dry.

> * i'm not that technically proficient at any of the instrument i've
> played on here (though guitar is my favourite).

You seem to play pretty well regardless.

> * i can't really mix.
> * i can't really sing.
> * i can't really master.
> * i may have gone too far with the echoes?

IANASE (i am not a sound engineer), but:
The mix sounds acceptable to me overall.
I'd smear a whiff of reverb on the percussion thou', barely audible. Or
something.
The main vocals (the ones on the center) sound hidden, remote and
tubey... is that a tube preamp effect? If it is, it's a bit too much.
Bring them out, brighten them up, maybe (just maybe) a tad (more)
compression? Leave the other vocals unchanged (the ones panned left and
right). Don't change much, a couple dB tops.

As for singing, Bob Dylan couldn't either :-) so don't worry about that.
Actually the voice is pretty nice for a ballad type of thing.

Mastering... that's black magic, and it doesn't make sense to talk about
it before perfecting the mix.

The echoes are doing just fine, thanks. :-)

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/