Re: [linux-audio-user] Building a Multitrack home studio

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 03:29:17 EET

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 22:54 +0100, Florian Blaser wrote:

> Here are our requirements :
> - 16 analog inputs (with a phantom power-supply and reasonable preamps)
> - 8 output channels (5 "feedbacks" to the musicians, 1 stereo main output)
>
> This is quite a big setup and I don't think it will fit in our budget, so if
> we could find a solution to buy it partially and then complete it aftewards,
> it would be perfect.(2 inputs would be fine as a start, since we can just use
> two SM57 to record all the instruments and use our existing analog system to
> amplify the instruments that need it). Also, a physical control surface would
> be a plus...
>
> So, with what kind of hardware would you go in order to fullfill our
> requirements ?

So, you need 16 inputs out of which 2 are mic preamps needing phantom
power?

Get an M-Audio Delta 1010 first, it does not have phantom power but it
provides half of the number of channels you need. Later on you can buy
another one and wordsync them together.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html

It's about $450 in most places, but you can dive below that with a bit
of research.

If the full 1010 is too expensive, get a 1010LT:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

Neither this one has phantom power, nor does it have the nifty
rackmountable box, nor has it balanced ins/outs, but it's $230 online or
less.

For a couple mic inputs with phantom power, well, get a DMP3 or
something like that:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/DMP3-main.html

I'm not sure what do you mean by control surface, it depends on what do
you want to control. The channels on the Delta 1010 cards can be
controlled in software, there's a pretty good GUI that gives you full
control.
If you're talking about the output to the monitors and things like that,
Mackie Big Knob is pretty promising:

http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/index.html

Samson C-Control does almost the same things at half the price, but i've
been told that the sound quality is much lower (and i'm not surprised).

> Also, is there a possibility to have some pedals connected to the computer in
> order to switch effects on and off while playing ?

I always wondered if there are any dumb devices that can generate simple
MIDI events when pressing a button or something like that.
That would be cool.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/