Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 17, Issue 56

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 06:33:06 EET

Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On 15 February 2005 at 10:25, Timo <timo.sivula@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I did not know that was possible. Don't you have to be root to start
>> Jack in realtime with anything else but jackstart with a 2.4 kernel?
>
> Ya know, I probably get away with using jackd-realtime as non-root
> because I've added the realcap module to my kernel and start that
> module giving realtime permission to users belonging to the "audio"
> group. Of course, I added myself to the "audio" group. This works
> very nicely. There's some stuff in the realtime FAQs about how to
> deal with the realcap module. FWIW, I did all this on Mandrake 10.1
> starting with the 2.6.7 multimedia kernel source RPM from the
> contribs.

I think jackd-realtime must be some kind of mandrake script. It does
not come with the JACK sources.

If you use the realtime LSM on 2.6, all you need is `jackd'.

  http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a53

(That FAQ needs updating. The most recent realtime-lsm version no
longer supports the `allcaps=1' option.)

--
  joq