Re: [linux-audio-user] Searching for music composition tools

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 17:57:10 EET

Hi!
  There are a few nice tools, depending on what kind of music you wish to
record. I, personally - record more popular music, in contrast to computer or
experimental music/soundscapes. The tools I use are:
  Ecasound for harddisk recording, effects-processing. I use this in
connection with ladspa effects. For more computerish music there is csound and
clm (common lisp music), which is based on emacs-lisp. There are also a few
trackers, as I know, but I didn't try them. Besides that, there's fluidsynth a
software synthesizer based on soundfonts, there's also a nice place where you
can find some really good soundfonts for free. Also the linuxsampler project,
still in earlier stages of development can be helpful. It works with
gigastudio sampling-format.
  The best place to find most of the mentioned tools is:
  http://linux-sound.org
  Ecasound: www.eca.cx/ecasound
  Fluidsynth: www.fluidsynth.org
  Linuxamler: www.linuxsampler.org
  Ladspa basics: www.ladspa.org
  See Dave's plugin page for Steve Harris's swh-plugins and fons Adriaensen's
mcv and stereo reverb plugin. They are all ladspa.
  Note Dave's page uses Frames, but with lynx, that's no problem, also w3m is
ok, about other browswers I don't know, but expect they're fine, too.
  Fro more questions mail me directly or take a first look at my site:
  http://ltsb.sf.net
  There are also mentioned good tools for playback of too many formats to
mention here including: midi, audio, video. All those tools work in
text-mode!!!
  Kindest regards
        Julien

--------