Re: [linux-audio-user] linux version of this?

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 08:46:47 EET

Hi,

tisdagen den 22 februari 2005 06.01 skrev Noah Roberts:
> I asked someone how they did some recording with midi that sounded
> real. The response follows:
>
> "I found a free ware program called Anvil studio, with this I can find a
> midi i like on the net and take out every thing but the parts i want
> (the drum track and bass track). If i dont like the bass sound i can
> choose from different bass sounds like acustic, fretless, fingerpicked,
> slap, ect. you cant change the drums but you can adjust the balance
> between the base and drums.Then i put it on cassette tape ( I use my 424
> ) or you can use audacity (use the "what-u-hear tab") You can adjust the
> EQ to make it sound better also. with the audacity you can boost the
> bass and ad some compresion to the bass. then you add your vocal,
> guitars, keyboard, ect and you got a band"
>
> Do we have anything like that? Something that can take midi and make it
> sound more real?

I don't know if this app has some "magic" that it applies... in which case I
don't know.

Otherwise the way to do this is to get hold of a good soundbank or external
synth with good and varied sounds, there are several soundfonts that are
pretty good e.g. Fluid, Titanic, Airfont, also timidity has a good blend.

Now, import the midi file into your favourite sequencer, if the midi file was
of the right kind it would have spread the instruments over several tracks.
For each track you can then select which instrument should be used to play
it. Setup the synth correctly with the sequencer and direct the outputs to
it. It's how I would do it with MusE anyway, I think it's the same in for
instance Rosegarden.

Regards,
Robert

--