Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] "The short is off the stick" -- What does that mean?

From: <luke@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 02:21:30 EET

Hi,

25Feb2005 @ 09:08 Wolfgang Woehl thusly spake
> This is from Lamont Dozier's "Fish ain't bitin'" (1973) Can someone
> explain the expression "The short is off the stick"? Thanks.
>
> And meanwhile in DC
> Tricky Dick is trying to be slick
> And the short is off the stick
> Because I'm gonna get it
> Tricky Dick, please quit

You might be familiar with the expression: "getting the short end of the stick", which means you don't have the power, or you are subject someone else's overriding power (they have the long end of the stick). The short is off the stick is probably a way of saying "we are no longer subject to that overriding power, perhaps referring to the (misplaced) power of tricky dick.

that's my first line of interpretation,
kind regards,
Luke

--