Re: [linux-audio-user] DiGi9652 or HDSP9652 ?

From: thomas charbonnel <thomas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 17:23:12 EET

Michele Spinolo wrote :
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm going to buy one of these cards, and I was wondering what about the
> differences from one to each other and concernig ALSA's support.
> By ALSA's website seems they are completly supported, but I would like to
> have some users' confimations.
>
> On RME website I focused this words:
>
> HDSP 9652 is the long-awaited successor of the well-known PCI card Project
> Hammerfall (DIGI9652). Like the original Hammerfall, HDSP 9652 offers 3 x
> ADAT optical I/O, ADAT-Sync In, SPDIF I/O and word clock I/O. On top, there
> are 2 MIDI I/Os and TotalMix, a DSP-based real-time mixer/router.
>
> apart from MIDI I/Os which I do not care about, I didn't understand what
> TotalMix will do on HDSP9652 and under Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who will help!
> Michele

Hi Michele,

The hardware mixer that comes with the HDSP 9652 is a very flexible way
of controlling the way audio signals are routed inside the card.
Basically you can route any incoming signal or software playback channel
to any physical output with a gain ranging from -oo dB to +6 dB. This is
done in hardware, so it doesn't impact the cpu load in any way, and is
very low latency (2 samples). The card also does hardware peak and RMS
calculation on all channels. Totalmix is the frontend provided by RME to
control this hardware mixer and display the meters. I wrote a linux
clone of this application, hdspmixer, that's shipped with the alsa-tools
package.

Thomas