Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI stopped working

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 06:25:23 EET

On Saturday 26 February 2005 08:31 pm, MarC wrote:
> I upgraded my debian testing and now MIDI doesn't work anymore.
> Before I could load soundfonts normally and now I get:
>
> marc@email-addr-hidden:~$ sfxload
> No AWE synth device is found
>
> any clue about how to solve it? (google wasn't enough...)
>
> thanks in advance,
> I wouldn't be a debian user without such great mailing lists as LAU and
> debian-users...

I'm running unstable but, assuming it's a SoundBlaster Live!, you need the
emu10k1-synth module loaded.
Easy fix is load it with modconf, an arguably "better" solution is to add a
post-install line to /etc/modutils/alsa:

post-install snd-emu10k1 modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth

don't forget to run update-modules. I load my default soundfont the same way.

I'll indulge myself with some pedanticism here and mention FYI that MIDI
doesn't make any noise. It's yer wavetable that stopped working... Anyway