Re: [linux-audio-user] simulating guitar distos at linux

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 18:24:37 EET

Last Saturday 26 February 2005 20:37, Jan Depner was like:
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:15, MarC wrote:
> > I already tried V-amp and I didn't like it. I prefer the Zoom GFX8 (a
> > lot of people will think that I am crazy but yes... I don't like the
> > distos of V-amp, they are too "crunchy" for me). However maybe I didn't
> > play enough with it to get a good sound...
> >
> > Does V-amp Pro improve it significantly?
>
> It's basically the same box. It just adds S/PDIF and a few other
> routing options. You have to watch the gain and amp simulation settings
> on the V-Amp to get a good distortion out of it. I don't like a lot of
> crunch either.

I never got on with the V-amp either. I like OTT effects, but not necessarily
at the amp/room simulation end of the spectrum. I found it very difficult to
control and even the best clean crunch lacked power and presence. You need to
overdrive real valves, it's the only way.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk