Re: PortAudio, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What of "Wired" ??

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 16:58:05 EET

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
>> ... use Jack for audio interface or add it to the list of already
>> available options. I know it uses Port audio but I have not been able
>> to figure out what the heck Portaudio is let alone how to get it
>> working!
>

> I've been testing Csound5 which supports PortAudio (among other audio
> systems). IMO it's a great solution as a cross-platform audio system,
> but it works best with a native backend (ALSA, ASIO). Audio latency in
> Csound is negligible when I use PortAudio with its ALSA backend, not
> so good when I use PortAudio's direct interface.
>
> Csound5 has also recently integrated PortMIDI. Amazing work coming
> from Istvan Varga on Csound5 these days. JACK support is here ! :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Sounds good...

So how is portaudio set up? Is it like ARTS in its operation? have you
been using Qjackctl to control jack and can you get port audio to "talk"
via that app to apps that support port audio. Does it act like jack
within Qjackctl in as much as having ports from the host app and client
apps show that can be tied together just like we do with jack?

R~