Re: PortAudio, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What of "Wired" ??

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 20:33:05 EET

> So how is portaudio set up? Is it like ARTS in its operation? have you
> been using Qjackctl to control jack and can you get port audio to "talk"
> via that app to apps that support port audio. Does it act like jack
> within Qjackctl in as much as having ports from the host app and client
> apps show that can be tied together just like we do with jack?

It works as an abstraction layer between audio programs and sound sinks
(or in the case of jack, sound servers) so that you can create audio
programs the are more portable between various platforms.

I have portaudio compiled with jack support, but have been unable to get
wired to compile and run correctly. I can get it to build with a little
work, but I can't get it to run properly. (I suspect it's most likely to
do with the fact that I'm using wxGTK built against GTK 2.6 rather than 2.4)

-Reuben