Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI stopped working

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 08:19:35 EET

On Monday 28 February 2005 05:19 pm, MarC wrote:
> En/na John Check ha escrit:
> >On Saturday 26 February 2005 08:31 pm, MarC wrote:
> >>I upgraded my debian testing and now MIDI doesn't work anymore.
> >>Before I could load soundfonts normally and now I get:
> >>
> >>marc@email-addr-hidden:~$ sfxload
> >>No AWE synth device is found
> >>
> >>any clue about how to solve it? (google wasn't enough...)
> >>
> >>thanks in advance,
> >>I wouldn't be a debian user without such great mailing lists as LAU and
> >>debian-users...
> >
> >I'm running unstable but, assuming it's a SoundBlaster Live!, you need the
> >emu10k1-synth module loaded.
> >Easy fix is load it with modconf, an arguably "better" solution is to add
> > a post-install line to /etc/modutils/alsa:
> >
> >post-install snd-emu10k1 modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth
> >
> >don't forget to run update-modules. I load my default soundfont the same
> > way.
> >
> >I'll indulge myself with some pedanticism here and mention FYI that MIDI
> >doesn't make any noise. It's yer wavetable that stopped working... Anyway
>
> oh I have now realised that you answered my email before I posted the
> "No AWE synth..." version of it
> (I got lost with so many emails and with my mail server which I blamed
> for not delivering my email...)
>

> many thanks. you were right and your solution may be more elegant than
> adding to /etc/modules...

Actually, the file I referenced is used by the update-modules script to
build /etc/modules.conf. If such a line were added directly to modules.conf
installing a kernel via dpkg/apt-get would break things.
FWIW modconf manages entries to /etc/modules, but you can add entries with a
text editor and they won't be overwritten.