Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Net jamming

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 07:34:22 EET

JP Mercury wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:15:11 -0500, linux-audio-user-request wrote
>

>>just taking this a bit further - has anyone experimented with
>>live-jamming over skype?
>>

>..
>

>>(just to make sure it didn't drop out) - but with the headphones on,
>>listening to the band up on stage being broadcast back out to me, there
>>was at least a half-beat delay (mind you, i couldn't take the headphones
>>off, because this delay turned what was an average reggae band
>>onstage into a dubbed-out head-freak).
>>
>>even still, perhaps in an electronic music environment, a delay like
>>this would be manageable via quantization or something?
>>

>Shayne,
>
>I believe that Net jamming is just over the horizon. For full duplex audio, it
>seems, latency is the big issue. Data takes time to move. The dynamics of how
>that works seem to vary with Net technology, but there will always be some
>latency.
>
>Since you brought up Skype-- Matthias Grob (inventor of Echoplex Digital Pro)
>and I recently had a conversation over SkyPe. At one point, we tried some
>percussion with household objects.. but I found his Brazilian beats + latency
>hard to follow!!
>
>Your suggestion to use this latency as a feature is interesting to me. This is
>a major direction I want to go with FreeWheeling- the live looper I'm working
>on. Basically, FreeWheeling lets you capture and play with multiple loops in
>real-time.

yeah, i've mucked around with it a little bit ... not too much, cos i
haven't got any outboard midi things yet, which would probly make it
easier to use (for me, anyway).

i really like it though - the closest thing to ableton live on linux,
albeit with a bit more scope for real-time use due to its
ease-of-access-and-execution :)

>What I want to do with FreeWheeling is to have users able to connect to a
>common jam room. As different users capture loops from their improvisations,
>the loops become available to other users in real-time. Since the loops are
>syncronized to a common downbeat and tempo, Wolfgang in Germany can take
>Latifah in Brooklyn's loops and add them to his own improvisation.

that sounds idyllic ... i remember a similar concept with arturia storm
(version 2.0, i think) where you could connect to a sort of chat-like
room and share loops and samples with other users ... i think a good
idea would be to have different "song" rooms, created by a particular
user who would define the tempo, key etc of the song - perhaps you could
preview a room to see if it took your fancy - and joined by others who
would add layers or segments to it ... this would be a pretty complex
implementation, though ...

>There are a lot of possibilities with both live collaboration and storing
>loops to form larger pieces of music that persist over the Net. It is a type
>of collaborative improvisation I am going for. To make this happen I need to
>find some volunteers- people who want to try jamming together through loops. I
>have been working on other features in FreeWheeling because I'm not certain
>that I have the user base to pull this off yet. But with a few genuinely
>interested people, we could make this a reality.

well, i'd be more than happy to test out the potential - i'm not *too*
experienced in your program, or real-time loop manipulation, though, but
i'm always keen to develop these abilities. i'm guessing you don't need
the loop-based production genius of the avalanches to test these ideas
though ;)

>I'm most interested in the power that music has to cross borders and touch
>people. In this world seemingly fragmented, I think it is important for us to
>hear each other's stories. If I can play music with someone from another
>culture, that to me is much more interesting than producing an album or going
>after a certain style. I see music as a social process, a healing tool-- and I
>think we have an amazing opportunity to use grass-roots technology to create
>communities of music.

i dig where yr coming from j.p.

>Thanks, Shayne, for giving me the nudge I needed to write this-- it's been
>brewing in me and this thread over net jamming has been my catalyst.

no worries - i'm just glad a few people find this idea worth pursuing,
cos i really think the potential is huge - the internet and digital
audio has changed the way we think about music, but it hasn't much
changed the way we *make* music yet .... imagine ....

shayne