Re: [linux-audio-user] low latency 2.4 help - needed

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 21:24:46 EET

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 19:07 +0000, Dubphil wrote:
> I have a Terratec Producer Phase 26 USB soundcard and I have intensively
> tested 2.4 and 2.6 kernel for stability for hours and lower latency, the best
> result is with the gentoo-sources 2.4.28 (gentoo kernel are already
> patches for all audio needs)
> I run jackd with
> Frames/Period = 256
> Sample Rate = 48000
> Periods/Buffer = 3
> wich provides a 16ms latency
> If I try to go lower, I have xruns when I connect/disconnect clients.

You will always get xruns when you connect or disconnect a client. It's
considered normal and JACK does not make any effort to prevent this.
Same way you get a click when you plug something into a mixing console.

A more useful measure would be the lowest latency settings + kernel
combination that does not produce xruns during normal playback/capture.

Lee