Re: [linux-audio-user] IUPUI Student Radio Station should be based on Linux

From: ben racher <bracher@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 16:48:05 EET

>Dont forget X. You can put the noisey new machine in a cupboard somewhere,
>as long as it has audio connections, and control it from one of the P3's
>etc. over X11.
>
>I forwarded your message to one of the guys who runs the student radio
>station here http://www.surgeradio.co.uk/ its linux and donated hardware
>based, and they have a very good setup, so maybe he can offer some advice.
>
>- Steve

Well that's what I was thinking. You could connect to it through X
server, and run x terminals... but is there anything like that for JACK
then? Like if I'm on one of the production terminals, can I connect the
sound input of that computer to JACK of the renderfarm? Somebody
mentioned using JACK over TCP/IP, but that it would cause latency
issues... what if its just over a local ethernet, gigabit ethernet?
Because it would be a pain in the ass to walk over to the next room to
control to unplug and plug in audio inputs, then walk back over to the
terminal. This seems possible, but I'm unsure of JACKs TCP/IP abilities.
I'll go do some research.

- ben