Re: [linux-audio-user] sf2 soundfont spec license

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 17:01:07 EET

tim hall wrote:
>>Please, is it REALLY necessary to reinvent the wheel here, when there
>>are so many other outstanding issues with Linux audio?
>
> No, it's not necessary to re-invent the wheel.

Well it may be. Will the sf2 2.01 spec deal with 24/96
wav files in a 7.1 (8 channel) audio environment ?

And also, a "superior" and completely open format would
obviously have conversion utilites to convert the bits on
disk from one format to any other popular format.

> However, this is a discussion
> I've been waiting for for a while and I think it's useful to explore the
> possibilities. I would like to see the development of a standard GNU/Linux
> soundbank that is freely distributeable, so it could be bundled with DeMuDi
> and PlanetCCRMA etc. For this we need tools and to be sure we're using the
> right format. From what I understand, there is no limit on using the sf2
> specification, but we wouldn't be able to change it.

We have nothing in writting from Creative/EMU to say:

. the spec will stay as is, unchangable but free to use as is
. new management may one day decide to close down the openness
. new management may one day decide to completely open source it

I specifically want professionally usable instruments that
I can freely redistribute with my GPL licensed music...
which means I also have make the "source" available as well.
I'm not aware of any instrument format that will allow me
to fully comply with GPL licensed music. I'm not interested
in other license workarounds as I specifically want to
release my music as GPL... including all the "source". I am
uncomfortable that one day Creative could rescind their
sf2 standard and license because their lawyers advise them
they could start to exert their patents and collect royalties.

--markc