Re: [linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 14:09:22 EET

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:44:18PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> I know very little about skype and don't have much time or personal
> interest in learning about it. But, it's making inroads. I want to
> understand what it does and what free software alternatives are
> available. Is it possible for free software alternatives to inter
> operate with the skype world?

Skype offer two things currently, the actual noises-over-internet stuff,
and the gateway out to the 'real' telephony system. The former you can use
one of the free voip implementations, the latter you need some kind of
account for. There are services that offer SIP+RTP to phone gateways that
should interoperate with the free VOIP implementations. I posted the URL
of one a couple of weeks ago, but I forget what it was.

- Steve