Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Questions

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 15:30:29 EET

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 05:45, bjay@email-addr-hidden-mail.net wrote:

> 5) Latency. Is there any way to do things in non-real time ? Other than realtime monitoring (which I'm happy to go without) is there any way to pre-render stuff and put up with a pause before the music starts ? Am I right in saying that if you have 30ms latency, and you record a track, no compensation for this latency will be applied and the track will be 30ms late ? Is there any time stamping built into jack/alsa ? You know what I'm getting at, have I miss-understood somthing ? For my 2c worth, as a drummer (amongst other things), you may not be able to hear 10ms (low latency, with your snare going through some effects), but you can feel it. It's THE difference between 'energetic' and 'Chill out' tracks.

    Get a sound card with hardware monitoring (anything with the envy24
chipset will do this) then you don't have to worry about latency for
monitoring purposes. I don't know about Rosegarden but Ardour/JACK
compensates for latency.

> 6) When I plump for a new box, should I get multi-processor.

    It's not really necessary. I'm running an AMD Athlon 1700+ and I
have no problems recording/playing multiple tracks. Memory and disk
drives are probably more important. Make sure you get a separate disk
drive for your audio data.

Jan