Thanks to all Re: [linux-audio-user] fighting skype ...

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 19:54:49 EET

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 04:36:33PM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > what free software alternatives are available.
> What I really need is a client daemon hooked up to jack that I can
> interface to with a non-interactive interface or an interactive
> ncurses app (and maybe a graphical gtk+ frontend for some eyecandy).
> It would also be nice to have a sip softphone on my web page. I took a
> look at mozphone, but have not played with it yet.
> Proprietary software is not an option.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. I was able to get
agreement in principle that free and open standards are better for the
long term. But, since skype has the greatest market penetration at the
moment it will be used in the short term as the quick and easy solution.

Not my preferred outcome, but at least I was able to present a
reasonably well informed argument with the help of this list. I think it
was enough to plant a seed for the future.

For what it's worth I'm attaching notes from last week's DCLUG meeting
about asterisk and VOIP. For some reason the archives of that list are
subscriber only ...

Thanks,

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia