[linux-audio-user] Re: Net jamming

From: JP Mercury <swirlee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 21:05:02 EET

Wolfgang,

I very much appreciate where you are coming from: "I guess it's not the
application that matters but the get together, the surpises in that, the
laughter and joy". And to say "Freewheeling has become a constant source of
joy and fun.", that is about the biggest compliment I could ever receive.

Thank you.

Too true that creativity is much about limitations. Besides, your Heart is the
true source of joy and fun. The best I can aspire to do is provide a
transparent interface for you to express what you feel in there.

I think that a well-designed, simple, fluid interface for us to collaborate
together on the net would help to actually get people together. We've arrived
in an age where we seem increasingly fragmented across time and space. For a
community rooted in the land following a traditional lifestyle, family is all
around. But we can not deny or go back to the way things were. If people are
interested in living in cities and building technologies, why not use the net
to connect up and jam? What do we have now? There are the recording artists
and the consumers. We have an alienated masses and an industry that caters to
them. Why not extend our sense of family, why not share our stories and songs
around the world?

For me the key element in development is to remember what's really important.
Clean air, pure water, healthy soil, and the fire in your Heart that holds it
all together. It is so easy to get distracted, so easy to get our priorities
mixed up. But life is a great teacher, isn't she?

As you said, "It's going to happen because we want to make music together."
Yes, let's do that.

Right now I'm gearing up (down?) for a trip into rural Tennessee with a small
palette of instruments, to connect with friends living on a farm down there. I
hope to record and loop some spring jams, and learn more about how
FreeWheeling works or fails to work in different settings.

For the software, I'm putting in stereo support and loading loops and 'scenes'
of loops. This will allow us to build on previous impovisations later. From
that place, I hope to start experimenting with a simple network interface. It
seems like we have a small group that is on the same page with this, and to me
that's a green light.

We'll be in touch.

In the mean time, let's find opportunities to send each other music.

Blessings,
Mercury