[linux-audio-user] jack -> realtime mastering

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 04:50:37 EET

I would like to set up a small mastering rack just before sound output
for live shows, this is on linux. Essentially I'm hoping to have about
8-12 channels of audio go out of csound5 via jack and into some sort of
host for plugins and mixing down to four channels of final audio out.
All I want to run are a few compressors and some eq, with easy access to
the control parameters and graphic vu meters of the compression. Ideally
these plug ins would also be controllable via midi cc's and some form of
API so I can make my own gig front end integrated with my csound user
interface. Questions:

Is this feasable with csound5 now? Has anyone gotten multi-output
working well with Jack?

What should host the plugins? Ecasound looks promising, but will I be
able to get graphic vu meters of the compression action? Does that even
work properly, ie can the screen respond fast enough? Anything else I
should look into? Jammin seems heavy me thinks.

Which plugins should I use? I'd like minimal cpu use, but a good easy
over compressor ( soft-knee ), a good final limiter, graphic eq, and
paramateric eq. Compressor must have accurate controls for attack,
release, ratio, threshold, and some form of knee control.

Is this even feasable? Are the LADSPA plug-ins good enough now to
replace hardware in the $300 compressor, $100-200 eq range? I don't
expect it to sound as good as TL-Audio tubes or anything, but I won't
drop $300 on an FMR or buy a bunch of ProSonus's if a plugin can sound
as good as that.

All suggestions welcome, thanks.
Iain