Re: [linux-audio-user] repost: curious about jamin feedback

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 18:40:10 EEST

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 17:03, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 07:20, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Another idea which came to my mind is kind of a speaker-managament
> > system, which seems to not exist under linux. Maybe adding
> > hi/mid/lo-outputs to Jamin would help filling this gap...
> You're the second person to ask about that. Steve says no.
> Personally I'm kind of intrigued by the idea. It would work for DJing
> but I don't think you could use it for live sound because there is a
> minimum of 10ms (I think) delay in JAMin. Actually, if you can crank up
> three instances of JAMin and solo each band you can already do this.
> The system overhead would only be... ridiculous ;-)

Where does the delay come from? Is it from the "Fast lookahead limiter"?
If one would really use the three-band-outputs one would either need three
limiters (perhaps even controlled by one master-limiter which gets the full
signal) or drop limiting.
Which doesn't mean to drop the limiter from jamin but to drop it (i.e. don`t
use it) from the outputchain of the three bands.
So the signalchain could be something like this (one channel):

  Input, EQ and X-over as usual
    | | |
   Comp Comp Comp
    | | |
    |-out_low |-out_mid |-out_high (this line would be the change in jamin)
    | | |
  Boost, Limiter and (stereo)output as usual

But if Steve says "no" it seems as if one has to provide patches for the ones
wanting this. :-(

But if one doesn't need the fancy gui and levelmeter-feedback I find it easy
to build something similar with galan/ams...

And even with 10ms delay, why shouldn't it be used for PA? If every signal
goes thru Jamin no one will notice the delay since (on big enough events) no
one will hear an original signal. And the musicians on stage only get their
non-delayed, non-jamined monitor mix and perhaps some reflections from the
buildungs (which are delayed with or without jamin in use)...

Arnold

PS: Even if my comments sound reasonable, I am only semi-professional
technician for little, weekly gigs called services in church...

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be