Re: [Jamin] Re: [linux-audio-user] repost: curious about jamin feedback

From: Spencer Russell <Spencer.Russell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 11:11:58 EEST

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 10:32:52AM -0800, R Parker wrote:

> I am accutely aware of the negative affect that timing
> and sync have and how phasing undermines amplitude
> response.
>
> If "delay" is a real problem in mastering do you have
> any thoughts on how it's affects Ardour? It seems to
> me that there can't be any difference between it and
> JAMin. In fact phasing should be more apparent in
> Ardour simply because of the track counts. Right or
> wrong?
>
> I guess it makes me wonder how hardware manufacturers
> like RME or M-Audio deal with delay on wire. Do they?
>
> ron

I think that delaying the lows and mids is more to correct for
deficiencies in the playback speakers, not the recording signal
chain. According to the BBE docs, speakers tend to add more delay
to higher frequencies, so by delaying the low frequencies in the
source, the listener hears lows and highs at the same time. The
BBE docs aren't exactly clear on how the higher impedance at
higher frequencies coresponds to a phase shift(I'd think it would
just decrease the amplitude) but I'm hoping some of the crossover
design papers, or my electronics textbook, will have some more
enlightening info.

-spencer