Re: [linux-audio-user] Jacklaunch vs. asoundrc jack plugin

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 12:29:09 EEST

Last Wednesday 06 April 2005 01:19, Ivica Ico Bukvic was like:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, please accept my apologies for cross-posting. I simply feel
> that this issue may be of interest to all these groups.
>
> After some research and experimenting with jacklaunch (libjackasyn) as well
> as alsa .asoundrc jack plugin I found out that very few apps actually
> cooperate with either of these.
>
> Jack plugin for asoundrc practically works only with aplay/arecord and
> freebirth. Audacity doesn't cooperate with either, while jacklaunch even
> though it has been reported to work with sweep doesn't on my machines (mdk
> 10.0 and 10.1).
>
> I've tested latest jack, sweep, Alsa 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 (I did not go beyond
> that as 1.0.8 has apparent issues with hdsploader) and had no luck
> whatsoever.
>
> Hence, I am just wondering at this point whether asoundrc jack is still in
> the testing phase (some of the errors that apps reported trying to use jack
> plug were due to inability to probe some info from the alsa driver which
> implies possible incompleteness of the implementation or weird probing from
> the app's side) and also whether anyone has had better luck than myself
> using either of these with audacity, sweep, and other non-jackified, yet
> important Linux audio apps via either of the aforementioned ways.
>
> FWIW, it would be really nice to see some united effort to jackify some of
> the other critical Linux audio apps even if their original authors do not
> feel like that is one of their priorities (I know, I know, if I am so
> interested in such developments then I might as well set an example by
> doing what I am advocating, which is something I would love to do, but
> unfortunately currently the notion of "free time" in my life is but a
> joke).

I think it may be the case that most of the Debian packages that Guenter
Geiger maintains will work with jacklaunch. I've seen a JACK Sweep in the
menus and confess to never having used it. Is it simply that not enough other
people/distros have really made enough use of it to properly test it?

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk