Re: [linux-audio-user] More Wine ing! :) and things VST...

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 02:56:36 EEST

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From all accounts, it still seems that jack_fst seems to not work very
> reliably with any other versions of Wine later than 20040505? I know
> Mark had some work arounds for other wine vers. but not sure what
> gains were made as a result?
>

> I also remember Shayne having a later compiled version...like late Dec
> 2004 release and reporting many Vst's operable where I could not on
> 20040505?

it works fine for me on wine 20041201 - pretty sure it even works on
some of this year's wines (not sure about the most recent version).
unfortunately, ardour will only work with VST support if you use wine
20040505 - which sorta sucks, cos dssi-vst does not seem to work with
this version (which gives you a choice between rosegarden with vst, or
ardour with vst - i'm gonna go with rosegarden and vst, then just hook
up any jack_fst i need in ardour through jack).

> I have had no real luck with DSSI but I have not applied a lot of
> effort to find out why either...not diminishing dssi in any way.

could be a problem if you're using wine 20040505 - try going to wine
20041201. also - i've noticed when installing dssi-vst that it doesn't
copy some of the executable scripts to the /usr/bin (or wherever)
directory, so some have to be copied manually (vsthost and *_gui, i think).

> Any miracle workers out there getting new things to happen with Wine
> and the VST-hosts we have today?

actually, most of it seems to be stuck in the past ... most people
assume that dssi-vst, jack_fst will not work with the latest versions of
wine, but this is not true (vst-server, though, is absolutely obsolete
as far as i can see).

what would be good is being able to set the VST_PATH environment
variable from *within* either ardour or rosegarden ... setting the
enviroment variable has been a bit of a pain for me. it would also be
ideal if the developers of dssi-vst and jack_fst could have a look at
these plugins in the context of later wine releases - maybe agreeing on
a more recent wine to support than 20040505?

shayne