Re: [linux-audio-user] More Wine ing! :) and things VST...

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 02:04:07 EEST

Shayne O'Connor wrote:

>Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>From all accounts, it still seems that jack_fst seems to not work very
>>reliably with any other versions of Wine later than 20040505? I know
>>Mark had some work arounds for other wine vers. but not sure what
>>gains were made as a result?
>>

>>I also remember Shayne having a later compiled version...like late Dec
>>2004 release and reporting many Vst's operable where I could not on
>>20040505?
>>

>it works fine for me on wine 20041201 - pretty sure it even works on
>some of this year's wines (not sure about the most recent version).
>unfortunately, ardour will only work with VST support if you use wine
>20040505 - which sorta sucks, cos dssi-vst does not seem to work with
>this version (which gives you a choice between rosegarden with vst, or
>ardour with vst - i'm gonna go with rosegarden and vst, then just hook
>up any jack_fst i need in ardour through jack).
>

>>I have had no real luck with DSSI but I have not applied a lot of
>>effort to find out why either...not diminishing dssi in any way.
>>

>could be a problem if you're using wine 20040505 - try going to wine
>20041201. also - i've noticed when installing dssi-vst that it doesn't
>copy some of the executable scripts to the /usr/bin (or wherever)
>directory, so some have to be copied manually (vsthost and *_gui, i think).
>

>>Any miracle workers out there getting new things to happen with Wine
>>and the VST-hosts we have today?
>>

>actually, most of it seems to be stuck in the past ... most people
>assume that dssi-vst, jack_fst will not work with the latest versions of
>wine, but this is not true (vst-server, though, is absolutely obsolete
>as far as i can see).
>
>what would be good is being able to set the VST_PATH environment
>variable from *within* either ardour or rosegarden ... setting the
>enviroment variable has been a bit of a pain for me. it would also be
>ideal if the developers of dssi-vst and jack_fst could have a look at
>these plugins in the context of later wine releases - maybe agreeing on
>a more recent wine to support than 20040505?
>
>shayne

Thanks Shayne,

I couldnt remember just what you had cooking but I remember vividly when
we tried an Orchestral synth out for a guy here...I could not get it
running on my provien 20040505 jack_fst and you could on your later
version...

Anyway, I was just curios...theres osme movement in the house over with
Thac and MDK that I will share soon. As he compiles a bunch of new rpms
I figured I'd feel around to see if any new things had popped up!

Thanks Again.
R~