Re: [linux-audio-user] sox from GUI code

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-lad@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 17:16:06 EEST

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:43:23 -0500
jjbenham@email-addr-hidden (Jeremiah Benham) wrote:

> If thats all you want to do you should go to the oss website. They have
> this pdf file tutorial on how to write basic programs to record and play
> from /dev/dsp. I used the tutorial to write a command line wav file
> player for my zaurus. I did not want to use something large like
> opie-mediaplayer or mplayer.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this advice.

The OSS audio sub-system is deprecated. ALSA is the future of audio
on Linux.

Even writing directly to ALSA is not too wise a move. I would instead
suggest writing to either JACK (if your program is for high end audio)
or ESD/PolypAudio for a desktop application.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"Indeed, I am impressed that Google runs an 8,000 node Linux
cluster, 5 data centers, an extensive network, and a rapidly
evolving application all with a staff of 12."
  -- http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/papers/FAAMs_HPTS.doc